On, Sept. 18, 2008, USW member Heather Crider of Local 9529 was seriously injured while working at DTE coke battery in River Rouge, Michigan.
Sister Crider, 26, was walking with her supervisor when she entered an area that had poor visibility and she stepped into a pit that contained scalding hot water. She sustained second- and third-degree burns from the waist down.
Sister Crider was transported to Detroit Receiving Hospital, where she is in stable condition in the burn unit.
USW Emergency Response Team's Duronda Pope assisted the family and Health and Safety's John Alexander investigated the accident.