USW Atomic Sector
Welcome to the atomic energy web page where news and information about the USW's nuclear sector is featured. Learn what is happening in the nuclear industry and the issues atomic locals are confronting in their dealings with contractors, corporations, the Department of Energy, other government agencies and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Atomic Sector Information Center
- May 22, 2013 Photos from the May 2013 Atomic Energy Workers Council Meeting Here are some of the photos taken at the May 7-8, 2013 Atomic Energy Workers Council meeting at Local 652 in Idaho Falls, Idaho.
- May 17, 2013 Disaster drill at Honeywell, workers hope to return soon METROPOLIS, Ill. - Thursday, Metropolis Honeywell held a disaster drill to see if the plant could withstand an earthquake.
- May 15, 2013 William Ostendorff, NRC Commissioner, Invested In Honeywell During Plant Lockout WASHINGTON -- Nuclear Regulatory Commissioner William Ostendorff has invested in Honeywell International Inc., an NRC licensee, since as early as 2009, according to financial disclosure records reviewed by The Huffington Post. Honeywell operates a controversial uranium conversion facility in Illinois and has come before the Nuclear Regulatory Commission several times for a variety of issues at the site since Ostendorff became a commissioner.
- May 03, 2013 Bonus money trumps safety at Hanford, experts say . The private companies working to clean up nuclear waste at the Hanford Site operate under contracts with the federal government that don't reward them for reporting problems, creating a dangerous financial incentive that could delay responses to leaks of highly radioactive waste, according to one of the nation's top nuclear policy experts.
- April 09, 2013 New Era for Energy Department Expected Under a Secretary Moniz The MIT professor and former Energy undersecretary in the Clinton administration is also likely to renew the agency’s traditional focus on nuclear energy, nuclear waste, and nonproliferation of nuclear weapons.
- More »
- April 22, 2013 Department of Energy 4.11.13 letter on sequestration to USW Intl. VP At Large Carol Landry The Dept. of Energy (DOE) responds to a letter from USW International Vice President At Large Carol Landry about the impact of sequestration spending reductions on employment at DOE facilities.
- June 26, 2012 Dept. of Energy Secretary Chu 6-26-12 letter to USW VP Carol Landry Letter from DOE Secretary Steven Chu to USW Vice President Carol Landry.
- June 15, 2012 President Gerard's 6-15-12 Letter in Response to Deputy Secretary Poneman 5-14-12 Letter President Gerard responds to Dept. of Energy Deputy Secretary Daniel Poneman's 5-14-12 letter.
- May 14, 2012 Department of Energy 5-14-12 Response to President Gerard's 3-9-12 Letter Deputy Secretary of Energy Daniel B. Poneman responds to President Gerard’s concerns about DOE policies.
- April 24, 2012 President Gerard's letter to Sen. Dianne Feinstein This letter concerns the Dept. of Energy's Former Worker Medical Screening program.
- More »
- February 21, 2013 Hazard Alert--Workplace Chemical Exposures and Increased Breast Cancer Risk A new ground-breaking study correlates increased breast cancer risk among premenopausal women and workplace exposure to carcinogens and endocrine disrupting chemicals.
- January 24, 2013 Hazard Alert--Failure to Conduct Management of Change (MOC) Leads to Fatality Check out this hazard alert from the USW Health, Safety & Environment Department.
- January 10, 2013 New Electronic Tools Inform Workers About Safety Hazards, Rights The USW wins second place for its chemical safety application. Other safety apps are available here as well.
- January 02, 2013 ChemHAT: New chemical information tool for workers just launched Workers wanting safer workplaces now have a new tool to help them thanks to the release of the ChemHAT (Chemical Hazard and Alternatives Toolkit) database.
- December 10, 2012 Useful Health and Safety Websites for Atomic Workers Check out these sites for helpful information and news on the health and safety front.
- More »
- February 15, 2013 Office of Nuclear Energy Launches New Website The Office of Nuclear Energy (NE) is pleased to introduce our new, updated public website: energy.gov/ne.
- December 10, 2012 Useful Web Resources for Nuclear Workers Check out these websites for information about health and safety and the nuclear sector. This is a work-in-progress, and we will be adding more sites in the coming weeks.
- December 03, 2012 Fifteen Things Every Union Leader Should Know About Safety And Health This list from the USW Safety, Health & Environment Department summarizes the basics of what you need to know about safety and health.
- November 27, 2012 Brief Summary of USW Representation in the U.S. Nuclear Materials Sector This document lists the nuclear facilities where there is USW representation.
- November 27, 2012 History of the U.S. Nuclear Sector and USW A brief history about the USW's involvement in the nuclear sector.
- More »