Frequently Asked Questions About the Steelworkers Health Welfare Fund

How do I find a network provider?
You have a number of options for finding which hospitals, doctors and other healthcare providers are in the network:

  1. Access the provider finder on the claims administrator’s website. For hospitals and medical providers, go to and select your geographic area to begin the search. For dental providers, go to and select the Concordia Advantage Plus network. For vision or optical providers, go to
  2. Contact member services at the toll-free number on the back of your identification card to determine if a particular provider is in the network.
  3. Simply ask your provider if he or she participates in the network.

How can I obtain a benefit booklet?
The Fund prepares a summary plan description (SPD) for each participating employer group describing the specific benefits provided to its members and other information concerning the operation of the plan.  A supply of these booklets is sent to the employer for distribution to eligible employees within 90 days after the effective date of the benefits.  Contact your human resources or personnel department if you need a copy of this benefit booklet.

What information can I get if I call the Steelworkers Health and Welfare Fund dedicated member services unit at Highmark?
You can contact member services to obtain information about medical, dental or vision benefits, check on the status of a claim, locate a network provider, request identification cards or claim forms, or obtain general health care information from Blues on Call.   If you have a claim that has been denied, you can also contact member services for instructions on how to file an appeal.  Questions concerning enrollment or eligibility for benefits for you or a family member should be referred to your human resources or personnel department.

Whom do I contact to enroll a new dependent or terminate coverage for a dependent who is no longer eligible for benefits?
If you have a change in family status, such as marriage, divorce or the birth of a child, you should notify your employer promptly so that coverage can be activated or terminated in a timely manner.  You should also notify your employer of any other events affecting your enrollment, such as a change of address.  Your employer will notify the Fund of the change.  If you are adding a new dependent, identification cards for that person should be mailed to you within two weeks following the date your employer notifies the Fund of the change.

What is COBRA coverage and how do I get it?
COBRA coverage is a continuation of the group health coverage available to you and your covered family members from the Fund when coverage would otherwise end because of a life event known as a qualifying event.  Qualifying events include termination of your employment, your death, divorce, or a child ceasing to qualify as a dependent. Individuals who elect COBRA coverage must pay for this coverage.  The maximum duration of COBRA is 18 to 36 months, depending on the event that caused the loss of coverage.  Typically, the Fund receives notice from your employer that a qualifying event has occurred.  Once that notice has been received, the Fund will send you or your dependent the information necessary to elect COBRA coverage.